Jackson Pollock





Jackson Pollock was apart of the abstract expressionist movement and has been thought of as the painter who has been the leading force behind this new part of revolution within art. Pollock uses a technique within his work called the 'drip and splash, it is used within the majority of his work.This way of painting avoids any distinct points of emphasis, or any identifiable parts within the canvas being used to create the piece. Pollock also doesnt fix his canvases to an easel but instead he would either have it laid out against a wall or set on the floor. 

I've found Pollock's way of painting and expressing himself very inspiring. I feel that all of his paintings give off a dark mass feel which could also seem confusing and dark. I like how it seems messy and random which I feel could also reflect and be used within the ideas and concepts I'm looking at for the City in Fluex project. The paintings also give a depressed idea by the colours that are used and the way the lines are put together. 

The paintings that I find most inspiring by Pollock are'Autumn Rhythm' and 'One: Number 31:These paintings are very similar in colours and technique which is probably why I've found then equally inspiring. I like the way the composition and colour has been used to give a depressed feel which could also seem quite angry. This could be used and related to the city being abandoned which would then have an effect on the city. This technique reminds me of the rubbing technique where you would get a series of drawings of the pattern of the city in a messed up way. 

Pollock's paintings have inspired me to use and adapt his ideas of using colour and compostition within my own work. I feel that the emptiness and the angry feel I get from the paintings will help me to develop my concepts further, where I'll be focusing on the other parts of the city which have been abandoned and misused over time and use Pollock's expressions within my own work.